Caregiving Rewards, Risks and Dangers
What Are Some of the Rewards and Joys of Caregiving?
- a new relationship with person being cared for
- a chance to give back
- a sense of accomplishment
- development of new skills, knowledge, i.e. advocacy abilities
- increased compassion, growth
- new relationships with others through support groups
- the building of memories
- Stop grieving for what used to be and find joy in the present.
What Are Some of the Risks of Caregiving?
- clinical depression
- lack of privacy
- restriction on a social life
What Are Some of the Dangers of Caregiving?
- personal illness/stress
- potential for abuse of person being cared for
- suffering from grief/loss
- depletion of income
- feelings of isolation, loneliness
- legal/ethical issues